Let’s have a hug, fall! A roll-in-the-leaves, open-arms warm embrace with autumn. Yep, that’s what this is. A fall frolic. This year I resisted the urge to write my annual, slightly controversial post about the end of summer days as I did in 2014 and 2015. I say to you on October 31, 2016: I’ve officially turned over a new leaf. [Sorry, some days corny idioms and jokes are my thing, especially in my writing.] I am no longer subtly enjoying the start of fall, I am loving it! It took years, but now I not only see where people are coming from with the whole I heart fall bit, I actually get it (like I’ve not-so-secretly been wanting to)! My love affair with fall started this October so it’s not a long-standing romance though I can tell it will be an enduring one.
As a gratitude practice, I’ve been thinking of all the things I love about fall and I realize that perhaps the biggest thing standing in my way of loving the season before was the reluctance toward the cold weather that autumn usually ushers in–and the “shorter days” with Daylight Savings Time. Sure, it may be easier for me to say I love this season during the mild afternoon of a day that’s projected to be a high of 75 degrees and the sun will be visible longer, but still. Again I remind myself that just as each person is different and has something special to offer the world, so too do the seasons! And those of us fortunate enough to experience four seasons have variety to keep each part of the year exciting.
So what makes fall exciting for me (and countless others who were on the autumn train first)?
Today’s List of Things I Love About Fall (one of my top four favorite seasons):
- Warm drinks – coffees, teas, ciders
- Food – slow cooker meals, hot dishes, candy, cookies and other meals that denote the holidays
- Campfires – hotdogs, hamburgers, s’mores, stories
- Leaves – changing colors, falling, piling up
- Fashion – plaid, tweed, cashmere, corduroy, long-sleeve, mock-neck, scarves, lace and sweater boot socks, leggings, fuzzy slippers
- Hair Styling – worn down, darker hues
- Crafts – with outdoor elements, seasonal, holiday-themed
- Holidays – Halloween, Thanksgiving and others that people celebrate
- Atmosphere – giving, gratitude, camaraderie, general warmth and happiness
- Sports – OK, so this one is for other people’s enjoyment but I like to see folks happy and I like to eat football party food 🙂
- Activities – pumpkin patch, cider mill, corn maze, haunted house, pumpkin carving, Halloween parties, The Enchanted Forest
- Fragrances – autumn-scented lotions, candles, essential oils, wall plug-ins
- Primetime TV – while I’m not caught up on any of my fave shows to watch with my hubby, I know they will be there when I’m ready! For now I’m too busy living.
- PEOPLE! – All the social events with family and friends in addition to the holidays and activities I listed
Speaking of this time of year, Happy Halloween!
This list could go on and on, but per usual I’d like to hear from you! What do you enjoy most about fall this year? Did I miss anything in my brainstorming list above?
P.S. Like the site’s new look? Since I’m feeling nostalgic, here’s a little throwback to past images from my blog that used to be on wordpress.com: